We believe grocery shopping should be fun, not a chore! And knowing how to better choose and store your produce sure make the experience a lot more exciting. So here are 6 tips on how to choose and store fresh produce from Fred - our fresh food guru!
- Truss tomatoes: tomatoes on a vine ripen from the top down - look for 2 - 3 ripe tomatoes on the vine and the bottom 2 tomatoes will ripen over the next couple of days.
- Pineapples smell sweeter from the butt.
- A tip for choosing potatoes: when cut in half, a good fresh potato will stick together when held upside down due to the wax. Maybe not the best idea to start cutting potatoes in store, but still a good one to know :)
- All berries taste better if eaten at room temperature. Prior to eating berries, remove from fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes - you can taste the difference!
- If avocados are super ripe, store them in the fridge.
- Lady Finger bananas do not turn brown in a fruit salad. The spottier and riper the banana, the sweeter it is.