Baking with Coconut Oil
A favourite of ours: Bon Appétit's Pumpkin Bread with Toasted Coconut.
Step by Step Recipe
Bake Ahead. This coconut bread can be baked three days ahead. Keep tightly wrapped at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F. Lightly coat loaf pan with nonstick spray; line with parchment paper, leaving a 5cm / 2" overhang on all sides.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, pumpkin, brown sugar, and oil in another large bowl until smooth. Mix in dry ingredients.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top, and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, coconut, and granulated sugar.
- Bake bread until golden brown and a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, 50–60 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and let bread cool 30 minutes in pan.
Make it your recipe. Feel free to switch out ingredients, especially spices and sweeteners, as you see fit.
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 170g / 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 35g / ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin or slow roast a pumpkin for 1 hour and scrape off the soft flesh
- 100g/ 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 250ml / ½ cup virgin coconut oil, warmed, slightly cooled
- 2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar